Gulyásleves (Goulash Soup).
You can cook Gulyásleves (Goulash Soup) using 24 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Gulyásleves (Goulash Soup)
- Prepare 300-400 gr of quality beef (shoulder and/or rear end).
- Prepare 150-200 gr of yellow or red onions.
- Prepare 1-3 cloves of fresh garlic.
- You need 1-2 pc of dried bay leaf.
- Prepare 2-3 tsp of sweet paprika powder.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of hot paprika powder.
- You need 1 tsp of caraway powder (or whole, crushed).
- You need 1 pc of ripe medium sized tomato.
- It’s 1 pc of red bell pepper, or other colour.
- You need 100-150 gr of (cut) orange carrot.
- You need 100-150 gr of (cut) celery root.
- You need 75-125 gr of (cut) parsley root.
- Prepare 150-300 gr of (cut) potatoes.
- It’s 3-6 pc of fresh flat parsley leaves.
- It’s 3-6 pc of fresh celery leaves.
- Prepare 25-40 gr of pork or goose lard (or butter, but less tasty).
- You need of fresh ground black pepper and sea salt.
- Prepare 1-1.5 ltr of water.
- Prepare of —————–.
- It’s of For the dumplings :.
- It’s 75-100 gr of all purpose flower.
- It’s 1 pc of small egg.
- Prepare 30-50 ml of water.
- It’s 0.5-1 tsp of salt.
Gulyásleves (Goulash Soup) step by step
- Peel the onions, fritter them and put aside, peel the skin off half of the red bell pepper while it's whole and then cut it in half, fritter the peeled part and put aside, keep the other half for later. Also cut the tomato in small pieces and put aside. Rinse and dry the meat and cut into 2-3 cm pieces and put aside.
- Heat up a dutch oven or other thick bottomed big cooking pot to medium hot with the lard or butter and put in the onions. Fry them for a minute or so then add the paprika powders and the caraway powder while stirring and then about 50-75 ml of water.
- Let this fry for about 10-15 minutes, stir regularly and if needed add more water, it should remain moist enough not to burn!! then add the meat while stirring and bake it nicely all around untill there is no more red visible, takes a few more minutes.
- Add the paprika fritter, the cut tomato and stir well, then add bay leaf, squashed garlic cloves and a good amount of pepper and salt with another 50-100 ml of water (or untill everything is almost under water), lower the heat and leave to simmer for 90-120min (untill tender) with a closed lid, stirring every half hour or so.
- Then cut the celery root, the carrot, the parsley root, potatoes and the half bell pepper into 1-2cm blocks or rings and add them to the broth. Also rinse and chop the parsley and celery leaves and add to broth. Then add 1-1.5 ltr of water and 1 tsp salt. Leave this to simmer for another 40-50 min and bring to taste with some more salt (you'll need some) and ground pepper if needed.
- Meanwile in a bowl, beat the egg well with water and salt with a big fork then slowly start adding bits of flower while beating untill you get a consistend soft, sticky dough. Then leave it for about 10 minutes. When the soup is ready stir it some more before use.
- Then quickly add small 1/5 tsp bits of dough with the edge of a teaspoon and hold it in the soup untill it releases, be quick so they can all cook about the same time. Note that you'll probably only need half of the dough to have enough dumplings for this recipe, use the rest elsewhere or just make more soup. Leave the dumplings for about 6-10 minutes or untill they all float. Try not to overcook so they remain nice and soft.
- After that say : jó étvágyat ; and enjoy your gulyásleves!.