Vegetable Lumpia. The classic Lumpia or Lumpiang Gulay consists mainly of vegetables as filling, hence truly vegetarian. The usual vegetables to use are carrots, green beans (string beans), bean sprouts, cabbage and sometimes, as in this case – jicama. Others add some protein in the form of ground meat, fish, or tofu to the mix but that is optional.
This dish is known as vegetable spring rolls in Asia. I think that the concept of egg roll vs. spring roll has something to do with. Are you looking for a baking recipe? You can have Vegetable Lumpia using 15 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Vegetable Lumpia
- Prepare 1 lb of ground pork or beef.
- Prepare 1 pack of firm tofu.
- You need 5 cloves of garlic minced.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of ginger minced.
- You need 3 cups of shredded cabbage.
- It’s 1 cup of carrots finely cut.
- It’s 1/2 cup of red sweet potato.
- It’s 3 tbsp of green onion finely chopped.
- It’s 4 cups of bean sprouts cleaned.
- You need 2 tbsp of soy sauce.
- You need 2 tbsp of oyster sauce.
- Prepare 1/2 tbsp of ground black pepper.
- You need 2 of spring roll wrappers.
- You need 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- Prepare 3 cups of oil for frying.
Vegetable Fried Lumpia egg rolls are a party or family meal favorite. I cooked the filling and wrapped these lumpia a week before and froze them. When it was almost supper time, I deep fried them in hot oil till they were crisp and crunchy. Each roll encased a generous portion of cubed vegetables: carrots, potatoes, green beans, cabbage, celery and onions.
Vegetable Lumpia instructions
- Take a large wok and pour olive oil and wait for it to warm up then sauté ginger and garlic for 3 minutes.
- Add ground pork and cook until they are fully brown then add tofu and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add cabbage, carrots, and sweet potato and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add green onions and bean sprout and cook for 3 more minutes. Be careful not to over cook.
- Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, and black pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Take it out and drain the excess liquid and let it sit to cool off.
- While it's cooling off time to make your paste. Take a small pot and pour cornstarch and water in medium high. Keep stirring until liquid becomes thicker. Take it out when you have your desired amount of thickness. Let it sit out in room temperature until it cools off.
- While you're waiting separate your egg roll wrappers AP it is easier to grab when you are ready to start wrapping.
- When you're ready take your wrapper and place it down with one corner facing your..
- Put 1-2 tbsp of Lumpia and start rolling very tightly until you almost reach the top..
- Then fold the two sides in making an envelope shape. Take your paste and put some to the remaining wrapper on top then fold and seal..
- Repeat this process until you have wrapped everything then immediate place in the freezer..
- When it's frozen take it out then take a frying pan and add your oil and wait for it to warm up then cook and enjoy!.
In Philippine cuisine, there are two kinds of fried lumpia: Vegetable Lumpia and Shanghai. To tell which one is which, you can see the differences in their size, filling, and dipping sauce. A lumpia is a Filipino egg roll. Lumpia recipes are flexible and you can add or subtract whatever you want. Traditionally the raw meat is mixed with the spices, rolled, and cooked.