Liver with onions…and gravy. I love mine smothered with caramelized onions (I sometimes add bacon) and I make a gravy to serve with it. Nestled next to a pile of fluffy mashed potatoes, liver and onions says "home" to me. Then toss the liver and onions back into the pan, and simmer for a few minutes.
Serve the liver and bacon with some mash and freshly cooked greens. … Liver and Onions Recipe: You'll need these ingredients. … Place the liver in a colander and let it drain. Do not try to rinse it, the water will just about My mom would always make creamed peas with liver and onions, which would go on our potatoes instead of gravy. Cook the bacon in a large non-stick frying pan until crisp. You can have Liver with onions…and gravy using 10 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Liver with onions…and gravy
- You need 3/4 kg of beef liver.
- It’s 4 of large onions.
- It’s 1 of root of ginger.
- You need 4 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 2 of green chillies(optional).
- Prepare to taste of Salt and black pepper.
- It’s of Spices of your choice.
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of breadcrumbs.
- Prepare 1 of tblspn tomato paste.
- It’s 1 of tblspn corn/wheat flour.
Beef liver smothered in onions is a favorite at my house. I grew up on liver and it's something you either love or you don't but my family always. I like just about any kind of liver, too. When I was a child I would not eat it at all but now I like it.
Liver with onions…and gravy instructions
- Clean the liver and remove the top layer/membrane…to prevent it from being tough…cut into desirable size.
- In a bowl, pour 500ml of milk and soak the liver for at least 1hr.
- In a wok/pan…add oil.. And let it heat… Add in the chopped onions and crushed garlic and ginger.. Cooking till translucent and garlic sweats.
- Add in spices of your choice.. I used curry powder, beef masala and Garam masala and cook for two minutes.
- Remove the onions and set aside.
- In a separate bowl put the breadcrumbs and spices, I used salt, black pepper and oregano and mix.
- Put in the liver into the crumbs ensuring it's well coated….
- In a preheated pan, add oil and shallow fry the liver for 4min on each side… And remove from pan and pat dry excess oil if any.
- In a sufuria,place some of the oil to fry the liver… About 3tablespoons of oil… Add in the liver and the onions… And green chillies.
- Since I didn't have cornstarch, I used 1tablespoon wheat flour+1tablespoon tomato paste in a cup of warm water… Add in the sufuria… Cover and let it cook on low for about 7-10min…one can also use beef/vegetable broth…this creates the thick gravy.
- Serve with starch of your choice.. While hot….served with mashed potatoes and guacamole.
This was the most tender and tasty version of liver and onions I ever had. The broth and the dredged flour on the liver makes a very nice gravy. Place sliced onions in the skillet with the liver. Pour beef broth on top of liver and onions. Cover and simmer on low until onions are tender and broth forms a.